17 August 2009

More What You'd Call "Guidelines"



I've been a little frustrated lately. By lots of things.

One of them being that I'm remembering how I was in a better place when I was going to church regularly and I would like to start going again when I can. I don't think that church itself is exactly what I'm looking for right now, but it certainly has elements of what I would like to bring back into my life.

I think part of what I was originally looking for when I started going to church in March was some sort of guidelines or rules to live by and give me some order. I learned a lot while I was going, and incorporated some things into my life that I've really liked. There were also some big things that I realized were not for me, which contributed in a big way to my recent lack of attendance. In realizing that I might like to go back, I also realized that I don't have to solely go by the rules prescribed by a church.

They may have a lot to offer, and they may work for a lot of people but at the same time they may simply not be right for me. Instead, I can make up my own rules!

What an awesome idea! If I want direction and structure, but I don't feel that I get that adequately from an outside source, why not create my own? A Katherine Code, if you will, which is really more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. I know that I've done something like this before, and I haven't kept up with it, but I don't think that my drive and motivation were the same then, and I didn't really follow through with putting it into some physical form. This time I'm going to make sure that happens.

I may share more about what kinds of rules and guidelines I'll be creating, but for now I'm just going to let it all marinate and get on with a busy day!

1 comments:

Lindy said...

Hi love - no pressure, but if you decide you want to try out a church some Sunday morning, mine is near McKinley Park with a sunday morning service at 9:30am that lasts about an hour. It's a Christian, non-denominational church and everyone is very friendly. Just extending an offer cause that's what friends do :) Good for you for defining your "guidelines!" :)