25 May 2009

Summer Reading

Today on Facebook I asked for some help in compiling a Summer Reading list. I was very happy with the quick replies, but of course as soon as I posted the request, I realized that I have access to a list of possible books I will have to read this fall. Since I'm taking so many courses, I might as well get a head start on my reading and only have to skim them later, right?

So now I'd like to read about half of the books that I know I'll have assigned this Fall if I can make it happen. Here's what I've found...

For my American Gothic class:
Joyce Carol Oates: American Gothic Tales;
Charles Brockden Brown: Edgar Huntly;
Edgar Allan Poe: Tales;
Henry James: The Turn of the Screw;
Charlotte Perkins Gilman: The Yellow Wallpaper
Shirley Jackson: We Have Always Lived in the Castle

For my American Lit II class:
The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry, Richard Ellman ed.
Kate Chopin The Awakening,
Joseph Heller Catch 22,
Percival Everett Erasure,
Alice Notley The Descent of Alette.

I can't honestly say that I'm excited about the Anthology of Poetry, but at least it's modern stuff, which I tend to despise less than other stuff I've had to read.

I have two more classes that I'll have reading to do in, so I should probably really get going on some of these books. Luckily a couple of them are ones that I've actually wanted to read before, so maybe it won't be so terrible!

Thanks to all who gave recommendations, I definitely wrote them down and will be checking them out if I manage to finish all of those by the end of the summer. Any encouraging remarks about what I have to read would be greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

Jolene said...

I so do this all the time, read ahead for the next quarter. :) I have two books that may be of interest to you if you want to borrow them...
I have BOTH the modern poetry anthology (used it this quarter) and I just purchased the Norton edition of Chopin's Awakening. So, let me know if you'd like to borrow them this summer to save you having to purchase them without your finaid money. :) Lemme know, and good luck with the summer reading!

mallory said...

The Yellow Wallpaper...I read that in high school American Lit. It's one of those random things I didn't expect to ever hear about again, but I guess when it comes to literature classes there tend to be a lot of common threads.

Unknown said...

That's an absolutely brilliant idea! I may do something like that myself to help make this final semester a little more relaxing =)