17 July 2009

Sad Katherine.

I don't think I'll be going to Camp Hollywood after all. It seems that in the time that I've been put on the waiting list and have still been socializing and such, I have depleted my CH Funds. Because of that second factor, it looks as though I will not be able to go to the Seattle Lindy Exchange the following weekend, which I'd hoped would be a decent alternative. It's looking like I will have to wait until September for the San Francisco Lindy Exchange to be my first event.

Only a week after that one is the Cowtown Jamborama in Omaha, which I'm hoping I'll be able to make it to as well. I think that my school schedule will probably have an impact on that one though. Maybe I can email professors now in hopes of getting some fort of syllabus early.

I've heard quite a bit lately from more experienced dancers (though I think it's all been leads) who believe that going to Lindy Exchanges is actually better to learn than going to events like Camp Hollywood, though I haven't heard much about why. Any of you dancers reading care to answer that one?

Tonight there's a Jack and Jill competition at Midtown Stomp in which I'm almost considering participating. For those of you unfamiliar with social dancing, a Jack and Jill is a competition in which all dancers sign up individually, and then the leads and follows are paired up randomly for each song. Rather than being judged as a couple, as other competitions are, each dancer is judged as they entered, individually. I'm going out to happy hour tonight, so it will probably be decided then. Wish me luck in case I do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In all honesty, Camp Hollywood really isn't that great of an event. You won't be missing out on much by not going.

The Seattle Exchange would have been a more than sufficient alternative. Seattle is one of the best places to dance (not to mention my favorite).

If you're looking to improve your dancing, then an exchange would probably be your best bet. Exchanges focus primarily on social dancing whereas events like CH focus primarily on competitions, performances, and classes (that aren't that good). I think SF Lindy Exchange would be a good first event for you.

Unknown said...

Aww, I'm sorry you won't be able to go to those other events. On the bright side though, we'll be able to attend the SF Exchange together.

And btw, you're really on the ball knowing about all these exchanges. You need to sharwe your notes with me sometime =p