08 July 2009

"I don't believe I want to live in a country where you have to be open on Sunday to do business."

Anyone else ever think that it would be kind of awesome to go back to the time where stores weren't open on Sundays and a National Holiday would close down all businesses?

I've thought that might be nice since seeing That Thing You Do! oh so many years ago, and then I had it even more reinforced after some contemplation post-Utah trip frustration with everything being closed. While it's very annoying if you are not expecting things to be closed, just a bit of warning could make it completely kosher.

Based on this, I'm going to do my best to not shop at all on Sundays. I don't know how successful I will be, but I do have a vote in how businesses are run by the way that I use my money within them, so why not support this crazy ideal of mine?

I just had to work on the 4th of July, and couldn't really get over the absurdity of it. In an attempt to turn that negative into a positive, I give you...

An open letter to anyone who is a customer anywhere on a national holiday.

Dear Potentially Awesome Customer,

Your smile and great attitude is grand. It's the type of thing that can make my day when I have to be to work on a Sunday or a National Holiday. Seriously, if I can't be spending my time with friends or relaxing in any way of my own choosing, seeing you and your wonderfully smiling face totally makes up for being on my feet for eight hours. I can't tell you how much I would rather pretend to be interested in your confusion over which smoothie to order instead of reading a new favorite book by a pool somewhere.

The smile that you flash on your way out the door to enjoy your afternoon with family is more than appreciated and keeps me motivated throughout the rest of my shift.

Either that, or it makes me want to hurl a frozen strawberry at your face.

Sure, it's great that you're friendly and wish me a Happy 4th when you come in to get your smoothie, but unless you're dropping a fiver in the tip jar, I promise you I would rather be spending time with my own family and friends. I know that you think that since we're open you're actually doing us a favor by giving us something to do, and sometimes I would agree with you, but not on National holidays.

You see, the only reason that we're open is that the company expects to be making money. If you were not there to be giving them money, they would have no desire to have us in the store taking money from them.

So this Labor Day, please show businesses that you really do care about the holiday and believe that their employees should be allowed to enjoy it as well by not spending your money in these places. Do you really need that extra 300 calories anyway?

Jamba Juice Team Members Everywhere.

1 comments:

mallory said...

I've had to work lots of holidays in the past, and while I didn't love it, I didn't hate it either. Most businesses close for the big ones like Christmas and Thanksgiving, and honestly when you grew up in a house like me where holidays weren't celebrated, it feels like an inconvenience when you can't find alternate means of entertaining yourself because everything is closed. I see where you're coming from, but as a whole we've evolved so far past those kinds of standards. Now people just want what they want when they want it. Very much enjoyed the That Thing You Do! quote!