29 March 2009

Down and Dirty

Before


This afternoon I decided to get down and dirty for a bit.

Above is what I started with after my visits to Target yesterday and today. After getting home with two of the Gerber Daisy plants I realized that I could fit another into the 100% recycled materials pot that cost me less than $2 and was made in the USA. In the end, they might actually be a little crowded in there, but we'll see I guess!

The green pots don't have drainage holes, so I figured I'd pull out the dremel that's getting a lot of attention lately. After more than half an hour of trying though, and seeing the drill bit turning red a few times from the heat it was generating I decided that even though my wonderful dremel is the super tool, these pots must be made of kryptonite. To think I was worried about cracking the whole thing!

I finally decided to go outside and found some concrete chunks outside that I could use in the bottom like rocks to allow drainage. I knew that only the cacti would be going in there anyway, so I'm willing to take more of a risk. It's a little bit harder to mess with a cactus as far as I've known.

If you know me, you know that I name everything. I'm not sure what to name these little guys though. Any thoughts?

Joint pot

This is Augustus and the Andrews Sisters.
(I'm not actually 100% sold on the name of The Andrews Sisters for the Daisies, it's just the first trio name that came to mind, suggestions are more than welcome.)

Augustus and the Andrews Sisters

And now here's how they all are on the porch.

After

I may take some better pictures tomorrow in better lighting, sorry about the shadows in these.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never named my plants, for whatever reason. I think it's cute though. Augustus and the Andrew Sisters somehow seems appropriate. Maybe it's the alliteration though =p

Now I feel like I should name my Lucky Bamboo. I've had it for a year and a half at work and I never even considered giving it a name.

Unknown said...

i think the lone one looks like a "lewis."

Saint Lexi said...

I like Yosef for the flower hat wearer, and Gessepi for his friend sans hat. :D

idrawpictures said...

Mister and Lady for the cacti.

Maybe Maude and Finis (I did some corpse bride research :))

Jolene said...

Clause and Regina. I don't know why, those were the first names that came to my head.

Angela said...

Gerber daisies are my favorite!