30 October 2008

My brother must be a liar

The following was written during a very confusing lecture in my Shakespeare class. I've been told by other members of the class that I'm probably better off for not having paid much attention.

I currently have four mosquito bites.

On. My. Face.

I've heard a little guy buzzing around my head while trying to sleep for a week or so. In mentioning it to my brother, I learned that I had nothing really to fear. I already knew that only females bite, but Jeff informed me that the way to tell the difference between the sexes is audible. There is a slight physical difference between the two that causes the males only to buzz when flying.

Well, either my brother doesn't know what he's talking about, or Mr. Mosquito has a girlfriend in my room as well. Or maybe he and I are both wrong and the males bite sometimes too. This definitely calls for some Wikipedia time.

Luckily these don't really itch terrible unless I touch them so I just have to keep my hands off of my face. I can tell you that's not the easiest tack while attending one of the most boring classes I've ever been enrolled in.



Wikipedia didn't have much to say about the buzzing, but it did say that females are the only ones who drink blood, and they are attracted to CO2, which is I guess why i flies around my dang face!

This site however does specify that both sexes make noise and explains that it's actually a mating thing.

Jeff, you have been proven wrong.

0 comments: