22 October 2008

I saved a life today.

I'm pretty sure the turn around time isn't that fast, but I did donate blood today!

It was my second time doing so. My first time it was really fast, like 4:30 to fill the bag. This time I'm pretty sure that the blood pressure arm band was on too tight because it took almost 11 minutes! The needle also burned a little, which I was warned about by a co-worker 2 months ago when i donated, and since I thought it would only be few minutes, I didn't worry about it too much. I was very glad to have it out of my arm though.

I also signed up and swabbed my cheeks to get on the marrow donation registry. They really need minorities, and males tend to be better matches, but you never really know, right?

These two simple things are just the beginning of my new goal.

I've decided that I'm going to change the world.



I found Ben Jelen again the other day, and well, he's cute so I follow what he says. Not really. But his lyrics and the video for Pulse definitely make me want to get off of my ass. (I would have posted Pulse here, but it's got some things like starving children in it. I encourage you to watch it though, it should be one of the first suggested after Wreckage is done playing.)

I realize for now that getting off my ass is going to consist of some very small things, but it's more important that one does what they can than uproot their lives for something, right? So when I get the chance I'm going to do things like donate blood. (Apparently if I do so in the actual clinic my O- can be used for babies and more specialized things than it can be when donated through a blood drive location.) I think I might try to pick up trash a little when I'm out walking. I'm not sure what else, but I'll definitely have my eyes open for opportunity, and I will always love suggestions.

Maybe after I graduate I'll look into the Peace Corps!

3 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Starting small will do the trick. I volunteered on a mural project one day - - and I loved it so much that the next thing you know I was doing more and more.

When you start small you gain confidence. So, you go girl!

Stela said...

I need to get off my ass!
I've never given blood, it scares me! but I want to eventually. Picking up trash around is also an excellent idea.