04 June 2009

Midwest Magic!

Tonight, I was feeling magic in the air. There were thunderstorms in the forecast and everything smelled amazing. So much so that I actually wandered outside to just be for a little while. I wanted to walk around Old Sac and just take everything in during that awesome pre-storm energy, but night had already fallen and I didn't want to go alone. Nor did I want to take away a lead from Sweet n' Hot by grabbing one of the guys upstairs. So out front I sat for a little while.

When I got home, I couldn't ignore the magic outside my window, but I had no one to take a walk with me, and it was almost midnight, so I just had to settle for an open window and blinds.

As I sat down to read more of Wicked (oddly enough the scene describing the tornado) the lightning really got under way. As I was putting down my book and thinking Screw it! I'm going out to get me some of this magic! my phone rang, my darling brother who had just turned me down for a walk in the pre-storm magic was being called outside as well.

As soon as we were outside, the sky just seemed to open up and pour on us. I couldn't have asked for much better. Only one thing that I can think of right now would have topped it, but playing in the rain with my brother while my soul was reenergized by nature is a damn close second!



Sadly, I got no good pictures of the actual lightning, but my friend Davis got the one above!

Jeff and I got some other awesome pictures. There are a select few here, and more on Facebook. I'm pretty sure that 97% of the people who read this will be able to find them on Facebook. If you can't see them because I don't know you and you would like to, let me know!



My hair is totally going to be tangled and smelling of rain tomorrow. I can't wait for the reminder of the magic!

I definitely felt like I was back in Iowa for a little bit, for all of the reasons that I loved it there. (I didn't completely hate it!) Specifically, I'm recalling a trip Mallory and I took to Maid-Rite, during which we got caught in what seemed to be a 15-second downpour the moment we got out of the car and ran inside. If I remember correctly, it wasn't even raining when we left her house, just a couple miles away.

Now back to Wicked! You don't really think I could sleep after such fuel for the soul, do you?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore summer rain, but it never seems like we get enough of it around here. *Maybe* once or twice in the season, which is not nearly enough for my tastes. It sounds like you two had a blast last night!

While I didn't get to dance in the rain like you guys, I did get a very nice view of the lightning driving home last night. It was amazing!