14 April 2009

Lots of talk about money.

Last week I got a big surprise in my bank account. Since finding Mint, I haven't been using my Golden1 credit union account much because I can't keep track of on there and I like the idea of understanding my spending better. Because of that I haven't been checking my balance very often, why would I if it hasn't changed? I got an email through Sac State's online interface (or whatever) saying that my eRefund had been sent. I didn't really know why that would be, so I checked my account, and there was a deposit of $1,524 from Sac State!

This was a huge surprise, and I was blown away. If that had come through a week earlier I probably would have been a little bit stupid and quit my job out of spite following a couple of difficult days at the beginning. Luckily though, I found it on a day that I had a lot of fun at work and then I had a day off, so my mind was more on what "extra" I could do with the money and not on how it could cover living expenses.

I quickly made plans to pay off about a third of my credit card debt with a large chunk of this money and get a good start on a real savings account with the rest. With all of this going through my head and knowing that I didn't have to work the next day I stayed up later than I would have and did a little research.

I found the email that I'd gotten a week before about my financial aid being revised, and I tracked down where it said that I would be getting this grant. I also found something else in that research. The first $1,524 was for the Spring 2009 semester, but I was also supposed to be getting the same amount for Fall 2008. I found this along with a second email notifying me that my eRefund had been sent.

That's right, on Thursday night I had a new $1,524 in my account, and I found out that another $1,524 was headed my way.

I thought of quitting my job right away. With 3 grand I could easily get through a couple more months without having to think about money for a second. Fortunately for me though, I've just witnessed a friend having less luck than he deserves when it comes to money issues and I realized that working and continuing to earn an income is a very good idea while working toward other goals.

I had a lot of fun looking up where I wanted to start a high yield savings account that night. I found a great direct online savings bank with the following mission:

"ShoreBank invests in people and their communities to create economic equity and a healthy environment."

Um, if you happen to be reading this and you don't know me, that could kind of be my own personal mission statement. (If you do know me, I hope that you already knew that.) I'm really looking forward to setting up payments to credit cards and transfers to a new savings account in the next few days. I'm also looking forward to knowing that even paying off so much and setting up savings I still have a couple months of bills that I don't have to think about.

Sorry for the text heavy entries lately. Here's a little something from one of my favorite webcomics.



**I forgot to add, while I am glad that I was able to learn from my friend's actions, I genuinely hope that things turn out for the best for him very soon!

1 comments:

Saint Lexi said...

that comic rules my sould. my favorite line of aha's take on me is "it's not better to be safe than sorry." in kisses as well as in life.

but not money. safe with money is way better. but kisses, spend them like blinks of an eye! :)